Film Trailer

Monday, February 6, 2012

Heart Awareness Month 2012

February is Heart Awareness Month and next week is Valentine's Day. It's the first time I've put the two events together in my mind. So it's timely in this month to not only check out our heart health from a medical perspective, but to go deeper and look at the personal, spiritual and romantic relationships we have and how they are possibly affecting our heart health and well being.

As I reflect on the dozen years since my open heart surgery and convalescence, I am keenly aware of the role my loving, heart relationships played in my healing on every level. The care and unconditional support I was given by my late wife Valerie in the months preceding, during and after my surgery gave me the life connection that propelled my resurgence. The need to regroup to be there for her in her time of need as she battled lung cancer was a natural impulse that gave me the gift found in giving and completed our life together. Then the new, strong and mature love I fortunately found with Catherine, for what is coming up to be 10 years in March, helped me to emotionally heal and re-discover the world of living. She is a blessing and partner who I felt was sent to me from the moment I first looked in her eyes. Of course all relationships require attention and perhaps "work" but love is love is love. I believe in that intangible feeling of warmth, security and strength that centers in my chest when I look at her and know that nothing is as important to me as her well being and happiness. I love her and am healthier for it.

It's been known for a long time that heart health is closely linked to romantic love, family security and happiness. Stress in personal relationships is a contributor to illness. Dr. Mimi Guarneri says this far better in her anecdotal book "The Heart Speaks", which not only demonstrates the complex and enormous power the heart has to heal, but also it's medical vulnerability to loneliness and emotional pain. I recommend the read.

This Heart Awareness Month give yourself a Valentine and love-up the one's you love.

No comments: